Friday

Finding NEW Paths

Since I'm now a transplant from Michigan to the upside down state of Wisconsin, I've had to search for an organization that I could feel comfortable in to ease me into the cycling scene around these parts. For quite some time, I was very disappointed in what I found. Sure, WORBA, the Wisconsin Off Road Bicycling Association is the established state advocacy group similar to the MMBA, Michigan Mountain Biking Association which I used to be a part of. But unlike the MMBA which has easy to understand regional chapters, WORBA is divided up into little clubs... and like a lot of other things about this state I've discovered... just don't make sense. I finally figured out the area I reside in falls under the Fat Katz, fat being synonimous with mountain biking and KATS as in Kettle All Terrain Society. Wha, what?! Well that and I sent them a few e-mails to see if I might be able to hook up with the group to get to know the area trails or at least meet a few new folks in the area... and nothing. Not a response. Not a peep. Not a word. So I explored what I could and eventually hung up the MTBs and putzed around on the road bike.

During the early part of this Winter, I was meandering through the WORBA and WORS (Wisconsin Off Road Series) websites and stumbled upon the NEW OM, the North East Wisconsin Mountain Biking Club. The club is based one county north of where I live. I liked their site so I dug out a contact e-mail and sent out a little message. Not more than an hour later... CONTACT! The person on the other end was the founder of the club, Wade. Made me feel really welcome even though we'd never met. I signed up to be on their e-mail list and happily get notices of warm-winter rides. They're in the midst of cutting the first trail in their county so they are frequenting that trail. But I hope as warmer, longer days emerge, they'll venture down to the 2 trails closer to my place. A couple of other things I'm excited about with this club is that even in a fledgling state, they are beginning to do advocacy work down in Madison and have applied to be an official part of IMBA. That's what I'm talkin' 'bout!

Anyway, I'm just glad and excited I've found a club seemingly more meaningful and moving at my speed. Bring on the dirt!

No comments: