Saturday

New Tote Platform...

My trusy 2002 VW Jetta GLS wagon will soon be put up for sale and so will my ability to tote bikes. It's amazing it has nearly 165K on the clock and I can still squeeze out up to 32MPG. I averaged about 27MPG with the rack and bikes on top. Any body need one and have $4000? Anyone? Anyone?


So I did all the research and drove a ton of different cars in search of the right replacement. But nothing was right. In the beginning I wanted an FJ Cruiser. But it just wasn't right. A dozen selections later (from sports cars to wagons to trucks to sedans to convertables) I finally picked up an Xterra. As capable as an FJ. Sucks gas like an FJ. But unlike and FJ... I could see!


So now I need to figure out how to bring bikes along without loading them inside. So simply up or back?! Going up means an even taller vehicle. And no where near as easy to reach as the wagon. But cost of entry would be under $200. To go the back route means a trailer hitch plus a bike carrier. $150 + $400ish. But it would be easier to load and access. Though getting into the back would be more of a problem.

Anyone have thoughts or guidance for me?!

No comments: